Tuesday, June 30, 2009

So much for second opinions

The RE I saw yesterday was all about the outpatient surgery, until he did an ultrasound. Apparently I'm carrying around a tennis ball-sized cyst attached to one of my ovaries. The good news is, the other ovary looks perfect. Which was the only good news I got yesterday.

He's going to have to do a laparotomy, which is major surgery. Two to three days in the hospital, and they won't release me to go back to work for four weeks. Oh, and there's a good chance I'm going to lose that ovary entirely, because there's so little healthy tissue left.

I just glanced at my employee handbook, and apparently whether or not I get paid during that time is completely at the owner's discretion. (And before anyone starts the FMLA chant, we're too small to qualify.) Unfortunately he's on vacation until early August, so I guess I'll just have to wonder. At least he's usually in a good mood when he gets back.

So, fingers crossed that my cyst stays put until after our vacation next month and that I won't lose four weeks of pay. As the "Sugar Mama" of the house, that would put a bit of a crimp in our little ol' budget.

Oh, I have one important question for my loyal readers. I haven't spent the night in the hospital since I was three. Do they give popsicles to the grown ups, too?

11 comments:

bbjoys said...

I'm so sorry. Best of luck to you. :(

Cat said...

Ugh. I am sorry to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you with the surgery and the work stuff.

I don't know about the popsicles...but you should demand one!

CathyMD

Amy said...

Oh man I am so sorry. I haven't heard of a laparotomy before. I hope everything goes really well for you. Enjoy your vacation!

Unknown said...

I don't care how old you are - if you want a popsicle, dammit, you GET a popsicle!

I'm so sorry about the cyst and I'm always thinking of you, wishing you the best of the best.

Ro @ Ro is me! said...

Good luck, honey! And if you want a popscicle, you get one!

Mary said...

Little did you know - I have a case of popsicles on order for you!! :)

I'm thinking about you and praying for you every night.

Love ya!!

gringa78 said...

Ugh, why does life have to suck so much sometimes?

Sorry about the cyst...We could put my baseball and your tennis ball together and open up a sporting goods store? :)

It sucks you have to go to the hospital and be out of work. I'm wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery and hugging you through the internet for everything you have to endure.

Sarah said...

Freaking tennis ball sized cyst...I think a ping pong ball would have been a bit better. Sorry for the bad news toots, but hopefully the surgery will go well and things will get rolling along as they should.

xoxo,
Sniff

goeckie said...

If they don't give you popsicles then a certain someone needs to bring you some - bomb pops perhaps? Or maybe a spidey? ;-) I hope this is the last of the bad news babe. :heart:

Lyse2143 said...

I'm sorry sweets. I hope you get that figured out with your work. I think that they will serve you anything you want, especially jello! If not, I'll send you some goodies :)

Anonymous said...

Transmitting from the future:

Surgery went fine.

No more tennis ball.

Popsicles were to be found.

-End Transmission-