Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Twins DO run in my family!

I've been warned about all the strange, obtrusive comments one can get when you tell someone you are having twins. "Better you than me." "Are they natural?" "Did you take fertility drugs?" "Want to be the next Octomom, huh?" Honestly, I've been dreading the IF comments. If someone asks me if my twins are "real", I will probably deck them.

But the nicest surprise is that, almost without fail, the question I keep getting is, "Do twins run in your family?" Because you know what? Yes, yes they do. It's so nice to respond like a normal, fertile person when I talk about my babies. Twins run rampant all over my mom's family, on both her paternal and maternal sides. In fact, there is a chance that I had a vanishing twin. Of course, I didn't know that until about six months ago when my mom dropped the info like she was asking me if I wanted chicken salad for lunch. "Didn't I tell you that before? Huh."

So far I haven't had to discuss my ovaries with anyone. Not one little convo about endometriosis. Or diminished ovarian reserve. Not even a chit chat about uterine fibroids. And I guess I can thank the fact that I look young for my 37 years, because no one appears to be associating my advanced maternal age with a need for a reproductive assist.

Don't get me wrong; I am not ashamed of my infertility. I am proud that I am carrying two little IVF success stories, and have been very open about our process with the people I feel comfortable sharing with.

I am just grateful that the conversation hasn't come up in the produce section at Publix.

I'm sure I have plenty of time for that to happen. And the more I start showing, the more the stranger comments will start pouring in. But, at least for now, they haven't been bad. Perhaps I should use this time to come up with some witty comebacks just in case. I don't want to get arrested for punching a loose-tongued stranger in the baby section at Target.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

People ask me all the time if twins run in my family. I am torn between lying (Why yes, they do. I wasnt surprised to have them) to just blurting out the truth (Um no, they dont. My husband couldnt get me knocked up so he had to jerk off into a cup and then that sperm was injected into me)

Tough call, my friend. Tough call :)

Mary said...

I was going to post something, but after reading Shannon's comment and dying of laughter i completely forget what it is.

Carly said...

shannon's response made me LOL. Yay that you can say yes and avoid all the other intrusive questions. It really is no one's business how you came to be pg with twins (and thinking it is no one's business is not a wrong way to feel- but why does the cashier need to know about it?)
i love L & L so much