Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Irish Day!

Disclaimer: I am not, in fact, Irish. I did marry into a large Irish Catholic family, however, so I consider it perfectly appropriate that I celebrate as though I have green flowing through my veins. Plus, I spent six weeks backpacking through Ireland after college and drank enough Guinness to qualify as a native.

I love holidays that are celebrated purely for the sake of celebrating. Halloween? Dress up and have fun. Thanksgiving? Cook for days and eat pie. St. Patrick's Day? Wear a little green and drink some beer. What's not to love?

No presents to buy, I don't have to clean my house for guests, and -- if I'm lucky -- I get to see a parade. I don't get to go to the parade today, of course, because for some reason "parade viewing" doesn't fall under my company's guidelines for acceptable absences from work. I personally think this is a travesty, but will have to live with my husband's play-by-play of the green shenanigans taking place at 3 p.m. His place of business happens to be located ON THE PARADE ROUTE, which I think is way cool for him and incredibly unfair to me at the same time.

Oh, well. He's the one who's actually Irish. At least he appreciates his good fortune!

Slainte!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You know what else isnt acceptable at work? Drinking green beer. I asked :) Miss you

Anonymous said...

Damn, girl, you got lucky! It's been since St. Paddy's Day that you asked about the Orange and the Green.

Granted, I lived the American version of that life. But still...

Love you!