As of this morning, all of our embryos are looking so good they're telling us to anticipate a five-day transfer. Of course, they could always call tomorrow morning and tell us to get in there pronto for a three-day, but as of now they're doing so well they want to let them continue to grow so they can transfer the best of the best.
I've done entirely too much reading on three-day vs. five-day transfers today, but most of what I've found is encouraging. Basically the thought process is that if the embies can make it to the blastocyst stage (which usually occurs on day five in a natural pregnancy), they are genetically normal enough to produce a pregnancy. There also seems to be evidence that blastocysts are more likely to implant, because day five is usually when the embryo arrives naturally in the uterus. Prior to that, the embryo is normally still in the fallopian tube.
There's always the chance that they won't make it to the blast stage, but according to everything I'm reading that means they wouldn't have been viable had we transferred them on day three, anyway.
So, more waiting. And wondering. I can't imagine what this two week wait is going to be like. I can't concentrate on anything right now and there's nothing in my uterus! Well, I'm focused very clearly on what those five little dudes are doing hanging out in the lab. But that's not getting my work done, I'm afraid.
Two hours left in the work day. I wonder if I can cram five hours worth of work in before I go home?
1 week ago